Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Dresden, here I come....


 WARNING: PICTURE HEAVY!

Thanks to some wriggling from Christine (http://www.quiltmonstercloset.com/) I have a chance today to show you my Dresden's interpretation.  Also thanks to Mdm Samm (http://www.sewwequilt.com//) for organizing this hop.  There are more people on this hop, and check them out after you are done reading and looking thru my blog.   Here is today's list:


January 31th, 2013













I did make something new for this hop, but I wanted to show you these pictures also.  They are a couple of wallhangings that I did years ago, (still flimsies) that had Dresdens or grandmother's fans in  them too.  In a lot of the books that I looked thru, there was not always much of a difference between the two.  Sometimes even the Dresden's were shown without the point that I put on my new one for this hop, and so I thought it would be interesting to show you these also.


My purple and green beginner's quilt.
The Grandmother's fan.
Woven interfacing in back to help with turning.

This is a sampler in yellow and accents of blue.


Close up of grandmother's fan.










In regards to this new blog hop, I have to tell you this story:  I had a couple of other things on the go, and thought I would have enough time to do this block (It's really easy, right?!)  in just a couple of days.  Monday rolled around, and I was just finally starting to gather my material.  All of this came from my stash, and I haven't even made a dent in it yet.....

Tuesday was supposed to have a couple hours in there to sew.  Guess what?  With all the stormy, rainy, snowy weather we've been having, one tree couldn't survive it any longer, and it made sure that it took some hydro wires with it.....  Not funny!!!!!  I was without power for quite a few hours, and after it came back on, I had things to do outside the house.  Thus I emailed Christine, and she kindly let me change my date to today. 

So Wednesday I spend a lot of time sewing (finally...)  Here are some pictures of what I had up till that morning:



Some of the blues I pulled out for this
   I really like blues, so I grabbed quite a few out of my stash.  I paired it with pale yellow, not too contrasting sometimes, but I wanted the Dresden's to shine.  And yes, I got carried away, and will be making a full quilt...

The cutting in progress

I did not have a ruler, and used a paper template from a book
The templates laid out on a strip of fabric.

All the blues: some already cut, others still waiting
I finally figured out that instead of cutting a strip that was 4" wide, and having a lot of waste, I was better off making the strip 5" wide, and reversing one of the templates!  SO SMART!!!!!!



My original idea........
 
 
Guess what?  Ideas don't always work...  Here is my sketch of a layout, and a couple more pictures showing what really is happening:

The pencil sketch.


The blocks with the fans abutting.





Close up

GAPS.......:(















My layout will not really work.  I will have big gaps inbetween blocks!  When I am turning the blocks to make the snaky layout, it doesn't match up if I want to match the blues going in a line......  But I will figure something out in the near future when I will finish making this quilt.   Here is another picture of something I thought would work:

Reversing them to make the slight curve.
This is actually bringing a different problem:  It will not fit correctly on the yellow 12.5" block......  Some more math will need to be done to work it all out. 



So here you have my story for this hop, and the pictures to show I've been busy.  Sorry for some bad quality pictures in here, but I had to take them all in the evening.  Hope you've enjoyed yourself, learned some, and loved reading my tale.  Actually, there is more yet to the story:  While happily sewing along, all of a sudden my embroidery machine jams up (Wheel just won't turn anymore), and if not for another machine right next to it, I would not even have been able to finish any of this on Wednesday either.......  Something else that I will have to figure out once this hop is over....
But I'm happy to say that blogger let me upload pictures the normal way!  Hooray for that!

Happy Hopping, and have fun reading more blogs!

Maria K


 
 

69 comments:

Judy B said...

Your colors will make a pretty Dresden! Glad you got your power back.

Agnes B. Bullock said...

This is fabulous- the blues and yellows are perect! Maybe you could just use extra yellow blocks to fill in the gaps- the idea of the meandering dresden quilt top is brilliatn!

Farm Quilter said...

I agree with Agnes, you could add more background fabric and make your snakes work! Awesome idea!!! Looking forward to seeing what you end up with!

Sunshine Girl said...

Nothing like a bit of last minute pressure is there! Good luck on finishing the blocks and I hope you finally find a pattern that works for you! I love the colours that you have used so I am sure the finished article is going to be fabulous! Loved your earlier ones too.

Theresa said...

Gosh you certainly had your share of difficulties to overcome to get ready for this hop. I like your wandering Dresdens, hope you can manage to solve the gap problem.

Gill said...

I like what I've seen so far and you certainly deserve full marks for persistence!!!
Thanks you for sharing and I hope you get your embroidery machine fixed!

Nati said...

You will get there, and hope we get to see it finished soon!

Sparky said...

well I will be wanting to see this when done...it is quite nice..and your colours....well I like

charlotte said...

I would just add a piece of the background fabric to fill in the gap. Once it's quilted, I think it will be fine. Great idea.

InGa said...

The colours look really nice.
Regarding the design, why not make just a white or another background in the gaps between the blocks?

Thearica said...

Once finished you will have a very nice dresden. We had bad winds last night and I was uneasy as we have 7 huge trees that surround our house!!!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Your story sounds like something that would happen to me! But I love your blues together. :) blessings, marlene

Mommarock said...

You have to be willing to try new things to learn. I am just learning that in my quilting endeavors.. but that is what makes us better quilters. I have decided they really knew what they were talking about when they said start with small things.. :)

Patty C. said...

Your work is lovely - I am sure you will think of something gorgeous to do with all of those Dresdens !!!

Jeanie said...

It does seem that something always gets in the way of our sewing plans! Love your blue dresdens and glad your power is back. Thanks for sharing!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Great color....I like how you are arranging the blocks

Barb Neiwert said...

So sorry you had troubles from the weather and power outages. The best laid plans.... Hope you can figure out your Dresden path. They are tricky little buggers, lol!

Sowing Stitches said...

Booo to power outages.
YIPPIE to your dresdens!!! :)

Ellie Q said...

Wow you had a busy Wednesday! Good luck figuring out how to make the blocks work--I like where you're going with it so far!

Suze said...

I really like the yellow and blue - that's in "my" color scheme. I like your layout, could you take it and applique it on? It's so great that I hate to see the idea go by the wayside. Thank you very much for persevering through all the trials and tribulations and participating in the hop. I love your tenacity and your inspiration. Many thanks.

Britt-Inger said...

I love your choice of colors. It will be a wonderful quilt.
Thanks for sharing

Britt-Inger said...

I love your choice of colors. It will be a wonderful quilt.
Thanks for sharing

Linda said...

It looks like you had a lot of fun when you had time to play! I love the blue and yellow. Why not just piece another yellow in there and then when you quilt it, quilt in straight horizontal lines that will hide the seams? It is too pretty to just set aside!

Joyce Carter said...

I love the blues and yellow that you chose. The Dresdens are very pretty and I know that however you decide to set them, they will make a gorgeous quilt. Thank you so much for sharing.

JudyCinNC said...

Wonderful Dresdens and I am so sure the end result will be fabulous. Sometimes the weather just interferes with the sewing and I hate when that happens. LoL
Thank you for sharing from Judy C in NC

Gmama Jane said...

I would cut rectangles out of the background fabric or even something else for something different...it might work. Sometimes my mistakes or first attempts turn into my best creations. Necessity is the mother of invention you know!!
Blessings
Gmama Jane

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

I like what you came up with in those blue fabrics.

Vicki H said...

I like your blue fabrics. I agree with some of the others-add additional background fabric to fill the gaps. I think it will finish nice.

Patty said...

However you finish this pretty Dresden, you will certainly remember when you made it. Great job getting it together.

Calicojoan said...

What a great post. I'm glad I am not the only one who has moments like your when things don't fit like they should. Maybe, you can piece in more backing fabrics to make it work. I had not using what I have started with. Can you go a shade darker or lighter and get a fun secondary pattern going on in the background? Just an idea.

tubilinha tiacarminha said...

É um senhor projeto,mais bonito que danado de trabalhoso.Parabéns.

Just Quilt It said...

I love blues and yellows together. This is going to be beautiful. I hope the rest of winter goes better for you!

Lana said...

Isn't it fun to play with the dresdens? You look like you had fun! I can't wait to see how it turns out!

gpc said...

Really lovely!

Unknown said...

Very nice designs, thank you for sharing. :)

Carol Swift said...

It's no fun when our brain gets so creative, but it fights us to become a reality. It will all come together, I'm sure. The fabrics are beautiful--can't wait to see what how you finally put it all together. :O)

Diann said...

I might be missing something, but is there any reason you couldn't cut some background rectangles to fill in the gaps on your layout? There's no reason the quilt has to be only made of 12.5 inch squares (or whatever your size was). I'm sure in the end you will have a lovely quilt, whatever you decide to do.

Vivian said...

And your experience is the essence of quilting - start with one plan, persevere through challenges and then end up with a different wonderful quilt! And there is nothing at all wrong with that.

I had the same thought as Diann - why not just add a plain background piece to fill in the gaps? Remember it's not a mistake, it's a design decision!!

Kim West said...

all of your dresdens are beautiful!

Scrapbook-ChickADoodle said...

Love reading your story. I'm sure it will end up a beautiful quilt when done. Great colors and fabrics.

Kathy @ Kwilty Pleasures said...

Thanks for sharing your Dresdens!

SandyMay said...

I know well the difficulties of getting from concept to finished project only to find it just isn't working as I envisioned it! It usually provides a learning experience for the future. Love your curvy design, and I'm sure inspiration will strike when you least expect it.

Gwen said...

Sorry you've run into so many snafu's! They do seem to come in groups....but...your yellow and blue sampler is just lovely. Blue is my favorite color and I really like what you're trying to do with those blue Dresden pieces. Good luck at figuring it all out; I'm sure it will be beautiful when you're done.

Carrie P. said...

Love your yellow dresden quilt, so pretty. I see others have suggested just adding a rectangle to your gap which is what I would do. I am sure you will come up with something you like.

ShirleyC said...

Sorry about your machine, but your dresdens look great!
My embroidery machine died at Christmas, and it was still under warranty - thank goodness!

Caroline said...

What a nifty pattern. That is going to look really neat when it is all finished. I'll be back to see it when you do! Good job! :)

Rosemary B❤️ said...

Rosemary B here:
dear Maria, your first quilt is a real beauty! Adorable colors and well done!
I love your second project. I love this idea. You have some little things to work out, but you are probably like me, I have to sit and think a few days -- all of the possibilities.
thank you for sharing. Your pics are good!

Cecilia said...

I'm glad you persevered and was able to work on your Dresdens. It will look beautiful when you are done. Thanks for sharing.

sew.darn.quilt said...

Very pretty pieces :)

lefuntz said...

Life happens! I'm glad you were able to share your dresdens. I love your layout. I hope you can make it work. Beautiful blues

Katherine said...

Way to presevere! Your dresdens are coming together so beautifully.

DeAnna said...

Way to be creative! I'm sure it will be lovely and I look forward to seeing the finished project.

sandra said...

This is how some days go with quilters but will always end up with beautiful finishes. Just keep working and thanks for sharing it .

Nikita said...

Oh I hope you finish it.. I would to see what it looks like.. and love the paper template idea.

CharlotteT said...

Enjoyed visiting your blog. Your dresdens will be very nice, show us when you complete. I signed up to follow you also.

OhioLori said...

Wow...what a weather adventure you have had!! And you still pushed thru...and sewed up your own Storm!
I think you did super job too... thanks for sharing!! Now you should sit down...breathe...and have a nice cuppa tea!! :)

Kris said...

Maria - What a neat idea to making meandering Dresdens - something will work to fill in thegaps, won't it?? And grandmother's fan - first time I have seen that term!! We are glad you got all the electricity stuff worked out and was able to join us today!!

✄ Erin @ Sew at Home Mummy ✄ said...

I think once you're done it's going to look awesome! Can't wait to see the finished product :)

Brenda said...

Sorry to hear about all the troubles you have been having. I really like the layout and sure hope that you are able to figure it all out. I am not a person to figure things out. Have great success and thanks for sharing.

ChristaQuilts said...

I love all of those blues. How about putting a rectangle of cream fabric in for the gaps? Will that work?

I once had to remake an entire quilt because things didn't line up properly so I now how you are feeling.

The blocks are beautiful though :-)

Christine L said...

Late Night Hopping after an unexpected long day at work! Beautiful job on your project. Hugs and Thank you for participating in the HOP.

Wendy said...

A very nice dresden!

Gina Loomis said...

I was a little fearful to sign up, I figured as soon as I did something like that would happen (it usually does). I'm sorry about the troubles! Your dresden's are beautiful, I love the blues. I'm very glad you were able to participate and inspire us!

Jodi - usairdoll said...

Sounds like nothing can keep you down! hehe. Hope things return to normal soon and your machines don't have anything too major wrong with them. You made me giggle because I'm like you with the math. I know you are clever and talented and it's only a matter of time before you figure it all out. Great fabric colors!
Thanks for sharing your adventure with us, grest job and happy sewing!

usairdoll(at)gmail(dot)com

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

When I run into "trouble" like this, I leave it alone for a while and then go back to it and then the ideas on how to solve the "problem" come about. I do think you have a great idea, it will just take some tweaking!

Bente-I like to QuiltBlog said...

your blue dresden quilt will turn out so great, I´m looking forward to see more.
Great idea, thanks for sharing!
Liebe Grüße
Bente

Cathy's Chatter said...

I am a fan of blues! You have some creative ideas and I love that you sketched it out ahead of time - something I never do which wastes lots of fabric! Thanks for sharing with us!

evelyn said...

One day you will wake up and the layout will just pop into your mind.
Love the old flimsie, you must get it quilted soon. My first "sampler" quilt is still my favorite.

Ulla's Quilt World said...

So lovely! :)
Greetings from Finland!
Hugs, Ulla